I was always curious as to why they did this!! Time must go on, but for the grieving it might be comforting to say..."stop, notice, mourn ".

This may have contributed to the legends about vampires and demons having no reflections, since they are said to have no souls to reflect.

Generally, mirrors remained covered until the funeral. travmaj from australia on January 06, 2013: This is really fascinating - I love to delve into superstitions and different cultures. It is an old Jewish custom that in the house of mourning the mirrors are covered.

No Buddha statue or three legged Toad will make this TV or mirror any better, a nice piece of voile or muslin cloth is all that is needed to cover it at night whilst you sleep and you can buy these special cloths from our website for £88.88 at wwww.whataloadofnonsense.con only kidding of course, you can use absolutely any piece of cloth you like. My vantity mirror is covered with a sheet, and I only lift it up as needed to look at something quickly.

Thanks for the education. There are more superstitions involving mirrors than can easily be counted, but not all of them are negative.

Thank you for writing this. Shiva is a week that is given over to mourning the deceased. The mirror is all about the opposite of this. I'm glad I could help to bring back some good memories for you. There is another character in the movie named Sipsey who covers up the mirror in the room where Ruth died, and then she stops the clock. stefg74, CC-BY 2.0, from flickr; Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay. I am always learning from your writing, too. FlourishAnyway from USA on July 19, 2013: Well written and different. •    If you feel sorrowful or troubled while home alone, with no one to talk to and no apparent way to control your depression, stand before a mirror and gaze into your eyes. That's the beauty of living in the United States. :). KathyH (author) from Waukesha, Wisconsin on September 06, 2015: You've brought up some really good points, Laura! In this movie from 1991, a woman named Ruth passes away, sadly, from cancer. Early American slaves believed that the bad luck could be washed away by immersing the pieces of the broken mirror in south-flowing water for seven hours. Creates Insomnia.

Impressed!! Still another says that putting the broken pieces in a bag and burying it will accomplish the same thing.

We really have very little control over that. Kitty Fields from Summerland on April 17, 2013: Awesome hub. You might want to turn the lights on for this one. We are constantly being subject to advertisements, to television programs, to merchandising that is pushing the external manifestations of success. Voting UP. Mirrors in the past were often warped and flawed, which would have distorted images even further. KathyH (author) from Waukesha, Wisconsin on March 21, 2014: Thanks so much for your kind words, Josephine1929!

The need to identify what that bad thing is leads to the need to create a new superstition.

This may be done so that mourners do not have to see how they look while they're mourning and can freely express their grief. Thank you for your response KathyH. KathyH (author) from Waukesha, Wisconsin on February 08, 2013: Thanks, sweethearts2! One superstition is to stop the clock so that mourners can stay and mourn for as long as they like without worrying about how much time has passed. In the Jewish religion, it is important to cover all mirrors in a house where someone has died while the family is sitting Shivah (the seven-day mourning period).

Therefore it is only fitting that the mirrors be covered up in the house of the mourners. :).

If they are taken out of the home headfirst, this allows them to "look" back into the home and beckon someone else still in the home to join them in death. So her response gave me a keen explanation as to the superstition behind my belief. •    Ideally, no mirror should be hung so low that it “cuts off” the tallest household member’s head (doing so may cause headaches). Drop us a line on Facebook, tweet us @WeirdHQ, or start a conversation in the comments below! Thanks so much for commenting! If the fright doesn’t kill you, whatever has come through probably will. A perfect example of this is stopping the clock in order to have a record of the time of death. Life is really supposed to be concerned with our internal essence. Old spiritual beliefs get passed down through the generations, but their meanings are often left behind. Some experts say that a mirror reflecting the bed brings nightmares.An explanation for this is that when we …

Since mirrors are often considered to be portals in some way, one never knows what might come through when the conditions are right (or wrong, as the case may be). Is success making it and being seen with a beautiful girl? :) It is interesting to hear others perspectives and beliefs on this topic. We want to hear it! Possibly because of that fascination, there is an incredibly wide variety of superstitions, myths and urban legends surrounding mirrors specifically and reflective bodies in general. I always wondered why these things were done, and I have learned a lot about superstitions, folklore, and the beliefs people have that inspire them to take these actions when a person passes from this life to the next (if that's what you believe). P.S. So glad you learned something! Thanks, Beckie! Some believe that if the soul of the newly departed sees their reflection in the mirror, they become trapped and can't leave for the afterlife. Throughout the entire movie, Sipsey is a very superstitious person, and it shows in her actions when Ruth passes away. Some cultures took this further, insisting that mirrors should be covered at night and when people in the house are sleeping, to make sure that a dreamer’s wandering soul doesn’t get trapped in one. KathyH (author) from Waukesha, Wisconsin on June 18, 2013: Thank you so much Mystic Moonlight for your fascinating comment! The mirrors in rural areas should be covered because it was the case several times that the lightning by passing through the mirror (which is silver or aluminum) broke into pieces and fragments pierced furniture and walls. After the funeral, they could be uncovered. We did have a hospice nurse with us at the time, and that helped a lot. I remember after having my first child, 18 years ago, my grandmother would scold me if I let my baby see herself in the mirror before she was one year old. :).

My niece was under 1 and I refused to allow mirrors be around her. We activate the desire that we should too acquire this positive character quality and that it should not disappear with the passing of this person. I remember in the early 70's as a very small child about 5 my great uncle died in London and the first thing my mother (who has now also passed) did was cover all the mirrors, not sure about the clocks. One legend says that viewing a mirror by nothing but candlelight will show you your reflection – and that of any entities inhabiting your home, be they ghosts or otherwise. Uhm... Obviously, whomever is around me has a firm belief in these superstitious beliefs. Along those same lines, some ancient cultures believe that mirrors reflected the ‘shadow soul,’ and could show the true nature of the person being reflected. The mirror should never reflect the toilet seat/WC.

I have used cross symbols on my mirrors so entities can not jump through them. And superstitions are for entertainment purposes only. It is interesting the things that we remember! Voted up and interesting. My belief is that some people have been watching too many horror movies.

KathyH (author) from Waukesha, Wisconsin on February 13, 2019: Thank you for sharing your experience Patti64! Mirrors have a variety of uses in the home, such as reflecting light, opening up space and generally enhancing the decor. Some have specific buttons, while others might require you to press a single button more than once. Appearance is touted as the key to success; driving the correct automobile gives others the message that we possess a certain character (which we unfortunately strive to obtain). Some cultures took this further, insisting that mirrors should be covered at night and when people in the house are sleeping, to make sure that a dreamer’s wandering soul doesn’t get trapped in one. Thanks again! When we sit shiva we try to concentrate on the inner person who is no longer with us not on the external appearance of the deceased. first the clocks then the mirrors.

Question: Why are dead bodies covered with sheets? For example, in the evening and night an uncovered window looks like a mirror because the inside of the house is bright and the outside is dark.

However, there are a few guidelines that you should … It was a tradition that someone sleep in the same room as the body so no harm came to their spirit. According to the Holy Bible, in the Old Testament: Ecclesiastes 19:27: "The face, therefore is the image of the heart, and the eyes are the mirrors to the soul and its affections.". We talk about the special character qualities that made his or her personality unique. The good news is that there are a number of folk remedies for relieving the seven years of bad luck.

They then begin a new period of existence without time. Yes, the lady was very superstitious but she had good reason. We explain why mirrors and dementia can cause problems and share 10 creative ideas for covering mirrors to eliminate them as sources of fear and anxiety in dementia. Much of what is done in today's society is geared to impress either the girls, the men, the boss, the relatives, or just the neighbors.

Salmon River Map, Tornado Twins Curriculum, Cloud Computing Is A Distributed Computing Model True Or False, Math For Cryptography Reddit, White Claw 12 Pack, Good Culture Cottage Cheese Walmart, Drew Struzan Art For Sale, To Lead The Wild Into The Ways Of The Man, Patrick Vs Thanos Beatbox Lyrics, Chilled Water Pipe Sizing Calculator, Xbox 360 With Kinect For Sale, Informal Wedding Invitation, Calgary To Vancouver Train, Dark Blue Flower Background, Military Music Instrumental, Lindt Chocolate Price, Behind The Name Manuel, Ac Odyssey Doing Time Choices, Margaret Fuller Facts, Lord Melody Shame And Scandal, Santali Literature Books, Uno Stacko Review, Office Furniture Clearance, Average Temperature In Russia In Fahrenheit, Is Walden Farms Healthy, Chocolate Lime Cake, Tim Hortons 99 Cent Iced Coffee, List Of Mla In Himachal Pradesh, Ogee Curve Autocad, Citibank Uk Branches, Lobster In Tulu, Samson Images Hd, Naveen Polishetty Wiki, Toss A Coin To Your Witcher Tab, Xbox 360 Upgrade, Mos Maiorum In The Aeneid, Why Did Nehemiah Build The Wall,