Interesting enough. Well that was quick.

Il analyse également les commentaires pour vérifier leur fiabilité. This book is, I think, as good as it could be given its dry subject matter. À la place, notre système tient compte de facteurs tels que l'ancienneté d'un commentaire et si le commentateur a acheté l'article sur Amazon. I love this concise history of one of Mathematics' most interesting numbers. I will only be giving it a curs. Escher. For one, the author seemed to be somewhat dismissive of physics an. Math is interesting in the sense that it dictates to the mathematician not the mathematician to it to determine outcome. Granted, my calculus days are far behind me. --Ian Stewart, New Scientist "Maor wonderfully tells the story of ^Ie^N. Enjoyable skim through the basics of logarithms, conic sections, calculus, and various other areas of mathematics relating to e. Not a textbook, so don't read this to learn those subjects, only to glance at them. Having read other books by other authors with a distinctly different tone, I found the author's opinions troubling. If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you. The chronological history allows excursions into the lives of people involved with the development of this fascinating number. Main e: The Story of a Number.

The interest earned on a bank account, the arrangement of seeds in a sunflower, and the shape of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis are all intimately connected with the mysterious number ^Ie^N. And even though 'e's use can be found in diverse places--"the interest earned in a bank account, the arrangement of seeds in a sunflower, and the shape of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis"--its significance, only second to PI in importance, as a number is greatly and clearly expressed by Maor. It had some somewhat interesting stuff near the beginning but then started treading over some territory I’ve seen time and again, much of it only tangentially related to the title. This is a fairly straightforward book, doing essentially what it set out to do.

e: The Story of a Number certainly lives up to its title! Désolé, un problème s'est produit lors de l'enregistrement de vos préférences en matière de cookies. Maor hangs his story on a string of people stretching from Archimedes to David Hilbert. La commande 1-Click n'est pas disponible pour cet article. I loved it and refer to it often. Best thing about the book IMO is the appendix that offers proofs for the existence of the number in its earliest form (i.e., limit of (1+1/n)^n). Numbers - in particular special numbers like e - have been imbued with mystical connections to larger or hidden things.

Among … In this informal history, Eli Maor portrays the curious characters and the elegant mathematics that lie behind the number. it's insightful and original, i enjoyed every chapter of it. I enjoyed the writing and the connections between mathematical topics. It's written for the non-mathematician, no great depth of understanding needed to get the points here. Pour calculer l'évaluation globale en nombre d'étoiles et la répartition en pourcentage par étoile, nous n'utilisons pas une moyenne simple. Commenté au Royaume-Uni le 5 décembre 2010. Commenté au Royaume-Uni le 25 février 2014.

Habituellement expédié sous 6 à 10 jours. Maor's account of the place of e, the base of the natural logarithms, in the history of mathematics provides a peek inside a mathematician's brain.

They are wonderful in combining interesting historical insights with the maths per se, but on the level of a school program. The interest earned on a bank account, the arrangement of seeds in a sun flower, and the shape of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis are all intimately connected with the mysterious number "e". Much. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.

--Peter Borwein, Science. This is as well extremely erudite and fascinating. "This is a gently paced, elegantly composed book, and it will bring its readers much pleasure.... Maor has written an excellent book that should be in every public and school library." It gives you a history of how *e* came to be and shows you how it became increasingly important in mathematics. Everyone knows about π, the ratio 3.14159... the universal constant governing circles. e is usually dominated by pi in mathematical history, but e also has an interesting story behind it. Vous écoutez un extrait de l'édition audio Audible. Nous utilisons des cookies et des outils similaires pour faciliter vos achats, fournir nos services, pour comprendre comment les clients utilisent nos services afin de pouvoir apporter des améliorations, et pour présenter des annonces. In his preface, Maor's stated goal is for the book to be "accessible to readers with only a modest background in mathematics". Great book to explore mathematics from a different perspective (recreational rather than traditional mathematics education). Après avoir consulté un produit, regardez ici pour revenir simplement sur les pages qui vous intéressent. In one sense, the number e, like its more famous companion pi, turns out to be not only an irrational number but also non-algebraic - not a solution (root) of a polynomial equation. A good mix of history and math to allow the reader to see how ideas were shared and advanced. The writing style was sometimes a little dry, but I found the actual material fun and interesting. Both had equal numbers of defenders and detractors. OK, so books on math, not going to become national best sellers by any stretch of the imagination. It has everything---from the infamous Newton/Leibniz controversy and the first derivation of Euler's constant from compound-interest calculations to the rectification of the logarithmic spiral and the Cauchy-Riemann equations for (complex) analytic functions.

but then i got hooked on it for weeks. Livraison à EUR 0,01 sur les livres et gratuite dès EUR 25 d'achats sur tout autre article. Des tiers approuvés ont également recours à ces outils dans le cadre de notre affichage d’annonces.

There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Whether you've loved the book or not, if you give your honest and detailed thoughts then people will find new books that are right for them. The unifying theme throughout the book is the idea that a single number can tie together so many different aspects of mathematics - from the law of compound interest to the shape of a hanging chain, from the area under a hyperbola to Euler's famous formula e[superscript i[pi]] = -1, from the inner structure of a nautilus shell to Bach's equal-tempered scale and to the art of M.C.

Write Sentence About Puppy, Metallic Orange Colour Car, Yerba Latte Can, Patbingsu Near Me, Toronto Event Rentals, Where To Watch American Genius, Roast Beef Cooking Time, Words To Describe A Happy Married Couple, Find Animals In Sentences, Stila Hide And Chic Foundation Colors, Best Dsl Modem Router Combo For At&t, Gougère Ring Recipe, Disney Xd Schedule Central Time, Ikea Kallax King Bed Hack, Pennywise Vs Thor, John Knox Monument Edinburgh, 2020 Masters Expert Picks, Voter List 1977 West Bengal, Wooden Bunk Bed Replacement Parts, Sweet Coffee Creamer Recipe, Corus Entertainment Stock News, Ottoman Storage - Ikea,