No matter the race, gender, political affiliation, or even religion. In a time where America’s stress level is at an all-time high, there’s no better way to end 2020 than a heated presidential election. As she is receiving praise and thanks from Democrats across the country for helping Joe Biden get ahead in Georgia, she is also considered "the new torchbearer of the movement embodied by two iconic Georgians: Martin Luther King Jr. and Representative John Lewis" for her public service and drawing attention to voter suppression (just to touch on the basics). What happened to freedom of speech? We can say that it was a close race and many liked Trump. ... "It takes a lot of compartmentalization, it takes a lot of compromises or to agree to disagree," Mutz said.

Till we meet again, I remain, The Blogapist Who Thinks Your Kids Will Be Shocked If You Can Pull Off That Assignment. So, was either parent rigid in their worldviews, contemptuous of the weak and inflexible when confronted with new information or a different perspective? One apparent trend caused by this polarization of parties is the polarization of voters. A big part of my job right now is leading OSU's celebration of America Recycles Day on Sunday, November 15! One way to do that is to reflect on what constitutes leadership excellence and consider how we might use mindful leadership practices to help us ameliorate aggression. A: People CAN “agree to disagree” about politics.
, When It Comes To Politics, Agree To Disagree, Then Move On, The 5 Things You Should Know Before America Recycles Day. "Even though some may feel that their counterparts hold hateful ideas, we shouldn’t respond to hate with more hate; that only escalates the issue. Did you always fantasize about having a more intellectually or emotionally open caregiver, or a more liberal one, in any sense of the word liberal? Except, most people — as they do with many things nowadays — feel as if this is just a part of everyday life. Hooker believes the road to rectifying the nation’s division is taking each other’s thoughts and opinions into account, rather than casting them aside as invalid. Even if you don't believe in God, I still think we should all follow this ideal. Then, he is going to try from the bottom of his heart to do the same for you and your crazy liberal opinions (that I agree with, most likely). You really think that by hating each other and hurting each other, our country is going to get any better? My husband and I have VERY different views on anything vaguely resembling politics (tea party conservative and social justice progressive, so you can imagine this touches on many topics). The idea has become that one party garners support from minority groups while the other garners support from the white majority, but if we look deeper, is that all there is? It took days to finally declare that Joe Biden has won the election. Is Your Story-Telling Derailing Your Career?

Both of you wish that the other truly understood and empathized with your position, and the easiest shortcut to feeling understood is by someone outright agreeing with you. The State University of New York at Stony Brook, As I Cast My First Presidential Vote, I Thought Of All My Parents Sacrificed For Me To Be Able To, I'm Celebrating Biden's Victory Today, But There's Plenty Of Work To Be Done Tomorrow, Joe Biden Has Defeated Donald Trump And Will Be The Next President Of The United States, Stacey Abrams Has 8 Romance Novels, And They're Selling Out FAST Just About Everywhere, 15 Hottest Newscasters And TV Hosts Getting Us Through The Heat Of The 2020 Election, 4 Products Addison Rae Used To Get Her Old Hollywood Glam Look At The Billboard Music Awards. 25 Liberty, Hokies’ soccer takes down Irish 1-0 in second consecutive road win, Eat your greens: Plant-based eating on campus, Listening to ‘Hey Clockface’ by Elvis Costello is worth your time, Rec sports during a pandemic: Staying active while staying safe, Young Americans for Freedom speak about the election and the future of Virginia Tech, The reality of freshman year: Our expectations v. what really happens, 9/11 has left the United States scarred in more ways than one, Voting locally ought to be regarded with the same importance as presidential elections, Let's get physical: Staying active can help manage mental health when social distancing, With a side of fries: Food costs present challenges to students trying to choose healthy. Let us know what's going on! When you can agree that both of you dislike how either party has planned to deal with a specific issue it is a more meaningful discussion." We’ve separated these political parties, issues and controversies into two categories: black and white, right and wrong. Freedom of religion? agree to disagree phrase. When those with the most extreme views – at either end of the political or religious spectrums – try to impose their will on everyone, the conflicts within our communities, our countries, and our global society only worsen.

The reason people get incensed, enraged, saddened, frustrated and "crazy" when their views get dismissed by an intimate partner is that it feels like a rejection of their very core. “Please don’t talk about politics” has become a popular mantra. googletag.enableServices() Agree to Disagree "The connection people feel with their city's sports team is the same way they feel with political candidates. But for the body politic to recover from its current crisis of contentiousness, some of us need to be willing to wade into troubled waters without roiling them further. What’s not healthy is refusing to listen to our fellow brothers and sisters, insisting that our opinion is the right one. That’s ultimately a huge reason why the country is in the shape that it is now. Overcast. Recent years have brought us new ways to disagree about politics: on social media. It’s like people are at the point where their first instinct is to retreat and retaliate the moment that someone’s political opinion is different than their own. So, in case anyone was thinking, WTF, didn't she already know he was that way when they met, the answer is, yes, but at that point he was a friend, and as you already said, you don't take this stuff as seriously when you discuss it with friends. No. If you want to try broaching the subject of politics with your family, talk about it ahead of time, said Dave Decker, a Minnesota-based family therapist who specializes in anger management. Sydney Lind Moore. I feel like it truly brings out the worst in people. What can we -- and others like us -- do about it? Songs About Being 17Grey's Anatomy QuotesVine Quotes4 Leaf CloverSelf Respect, 1. Alternatively, we can interrupt that momentum. I was too young to remember the day itself. Perfect and His Crazy Wife called, hmm... how about Mr. Gerard Borne is a Communication major from Norco, LA. Recently, it was election time, a time of year that I honestly hate. ” Political beliefs are sensitive, personal issues, and it can be easy to get emotional about them. This position has been a dream come true for me. In two to three months, people will forget about who voted for who and move on. Mindfulness, even if it’s just attending to a few breaths, can create the space that brings us a more nuanced perspective on events. He put us here to love. In the past, Americans usually were usually able to agree to disagree on most matters. The capacity to lead with excellence derives from the ability to connect – with oneself, others, and the community – and the ability to skillfully guide or initiate change. It was a stroke of genius that allowed him to make that connection, and these days a stroke of genius may be called for to find adjacent elements between the distinct extremes in our global political culture. We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. You really think that hate is going to solve our problems? Agree to disagree? All views expressed are those of the author and should not be interpreted as the views of The Lion's Roar, the administration, faculty, staff, or students of Southeastern Louisiana University. If so, this could explain why you picked your husband despite his political leanings (I wasn't going to entirely let you get off scot-free with that whole "he was your friend first" thing), and why you are continually triggered by his different perspective on this topic. googletag.display('div-gpt-{{post.id}}-content-ad'); For example, "Maybe why this bothers me so much is that when you rail against people who accept welfare, it makes me wonder what you really think of me. Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook3. Virginia Tech Dining Services is known for being one of the nation’s best campus dining experiences. It is not too late. Some of you may want that, and if you do, you are the problem. Agree to Disagree Podcast with Phil Harriman and Ethan Strimling will be weekly podcasts from now through Election Day 2020. And who knows, we might even come to enjoy talking about politics. Nowadays the sacred can seem like the safer topic; the profane seems to invite, well, profanity. Aside from the relatively few human beings who seek to harm others as a way of gaining benefit for themselves or their causes, most of us have something in common: we are all trying our best to live wholesome and decent lives. Add it to the calendar! If you need to flag this entry as abusive, A weekly guide to improving all of the relationships in your life, Subscribe to HuffPost’s relationships email, ten conversations every couple needs to have. Try A Mindfulness Cooler. Your Friendly Neighborhood Chicana is back, friends, fresh from voting in her first presidential election. There was an error processing your request. effort for politicians to differentiate themselves, Call me by my name: Mispronunciations disrespect one’s personal and cultural identity. Agree to disagree does not mean that we just give up on an argument that we feel is important and then hold onto resentment, anger, irritation, frustration or pain because of it. Keep reading to learn how to actually make a difference in your recycling projects and beyond. Agree to disagree: Discussing politics requires understanding and compromise rather than intimidation, Local carjacking and armed robbery reported on University City Boulevard, Virginia Tech improves upon support system for students in isolation and quarantine, Amendment 1 aims to create a new way of redistricting, Early voting numbers rise in Montgomery County, Virginia Tech students, professors react to the first presidential debate, Hokies’ men’s soccer beats the Cavaliers 1-0, Hokies lose heartbreaker to No. My parents and older siblings have in some ways described the fear and anxiety of that day and the inescapable feeling that everything was shattering. If this resonates, then perhaps you could initiate a discussion with your husband where you ask about this outright. We are asking Stillwater students and community members to look into their local recycling programs to be more sustainable consumers. I hate small talk AND political talk AND talking about the kids and I still talk a lot, so there have to be other options! However, with a little practice and some reflection, the inextricability of time and space can be an invaluable ally in cultivating leadership excellence.